Wednesday, October 22, 2008

PERU en resumen


I can´t believe I´m leaving Peru...
It´s my last day here after 3 months of backpacking, bus hopping, parasite dodging, conversation fumbling and so much eye opening... I don´t know how to feel about my return, but I do know I´ll be happy to give everyone an enormous hug and kiss, throw some toilet paper down the toilet, drink from the tap, and dance some good salsa with my much missed friends in IC.

To wrap it up, I have some notes on Peru and tips for your trip which I encourage you to take :)

The people here are fabulous. I had numerous people offer to take me into their home for a meal or a stay. I had strangers walk me to bus stations, help me find hostels, and give me advice of all sorts. I found too that opening myself up to these opportunities is the very best way to experience the culture.

Peru is incredibly diverse in culture, landscape, food, and well, everything...even 3 months was not enough time to see my fill of the coast, the jungle, and the mountains... someone told me there are 50-some different climates in Peru, and there are 4,600 types of potatoes!

Bring toilet paper with you (or let go of the idea of a pristine bum) and learn how to squat.

Peruvian germs are different than American germs...in fact, forget germ theory because no one else lives by it, so you´ll probably be just fine eating food that has been sitting out/fallen on the ground/has bugs on it... but on that note, take a good supply of probiotic pills and grapefruit seed extract with you to ward off the intestial ickies.

Bodily discomfort is not relavent. Let go of the desire to react to feeling cold, sweaty, dirty, crampy or otherwise unpleasant...it will only hinder your enjoyment of Peru.

If you have an allergy--they do NOT get it. You have to be very clear and very firm. And forget being vegetarian...welcome to South America, it´s part of the culture, eat your meat.

Bring a headlamp and earplugs.

Travel by bus...it can actually be quite elegant and you can learn all sorts of Spanish by watching the interesting assortment of movies they show.

NEVER forget that the concept of pedestrians having the right of way absolutely does not exist here...get ready to be on the look out and dart!

Peruvians have all sorts of ideas on safety...I´m not sure I agree with them all, but some include: don´t sit in the first row of the bus, don´t sit near the entrance of a restaurant, lock your doors (car and room) at all times, let the man walk on the street side of the sidewalk, and wipe off your silverware on a napkin before using.

Release expectation of time and schedule and enjoy life around you as it naturally unfolds.

I have mastered the scary electric showerhead...what you need to do if you want a hot shower is first flip the switch outside the shower up, then turn the knob only slightly--you´ll have absolutely no water pressure, and you might get shocked a few times, but it´ll be warm!

When plunging down a rocky hill to your apparent death on a horse, remember that the horse doesn´t want to die either and they have probably done this a time or two before. Just close your eyes and trust. (that goes with a lot of things actually)

Never call anyone back using a number they called you from unless you know it´s their number. People often use people´s phones on the street who ¨rent¨ them for a single call...I did this once in Lima, thinking it was my friend´s phone, and ended up having a virtual stalker.

Bueno...that´s it I guess! If you do go to Peru, let me know...I happen to be the queen of street food (so named me my friend Jon) and I know a thing or two about getting around by bus.

Thank you so much for being a part of my adventures with me. I´ll update again when I am back, but then I plan to end this blog thing, as I´ve always thought blogs were a little pretentious... :)

So much love, can´t wait to see you all.
XOXOXO, Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I am so happy that you have shared your adventures with me. What memories to last a lifetime! I am sure you got much more than you had anticipated at the start. Best wishes as you enjoy your respit at home before your next big adventure.
Keeping you in heart, mind, and prayers.

Chris Ostrowski