Monday, October 6, 2008

Cusco

Cusco is a fabulous place to be after 10+ weeks of traveling...it's a tourists paradise with boiling hot showers, abundant good restaurants, tons of travel agencies should you want to do anything at all (as oppossed to wandering aimlessly like I have in many towns), super cheap massages and other bodily treats, and English speakers galore...my backpackers hostel in particular is over-run with Irish. I feel like my body is heaving a sigh of relief here...oh my goodness, I can actually have a full conversation and express myself, heck, even use slang! Though after only 3 days, it's almost boring being around English all the time. I'm happy to have people to venture out with here--though I have to say, it's hard not to get sucked into the nightlife here. It's crazy--both because it's completely unlike the lifestyle I've been leading and/or seeing in Peru, and also because it's just crazy...these backpackers go out until 5am, then sleep all day and hang around the hostel, and I have to wonder what exactly they are seeing and experiencing in their travels...but never mind that. I did have one late night out with them to get a taste of Cusco by night, which is full of all sorts of different clubs and music--reggae/funk, pop, hip-hop, house music, electronic, and of course some latin (though a surprising lack of good salsa yet again to my disdain).
My days so far have been spent wandering the lovely stone streets, gazing up at the churchs, and browsing the vast array of handicrafts including hand-woven bags, blankets, clothing and more; silver; paintings; jewelry; painted gourds; etc etc. Another favorite past-time is sitting in the market and drinking hot chocolate made with real cacao and fresh whole milk with chunks of cream in it...funny since the thought of drinking a glass of milk in the US is enough to make me gag, but here it's a whole different story when you see it delivered by bicycle, still warm from the cow. Mmmmmm
Today I was really excited with my plan to attend my first yoga class in months, but ended up spending almost 3 hours chatting away about life and travels with two other travelers in a cafe. Such is life here; there's no use in planning anything. Tomorrow however, I will head off finally to Machu Picchu via a 4 day trek, which will include some biking, some hiking, and some hot spring soaking.
My life is so blessed.

Only 2 more weeks +/- !!
Besitos, Rachel

No comments: