Monday, October 13, 2008

cusco continued


Day 1 Machu Picchu Trek: We got dumped at the top of a mountain in the rain to mountain bike down a bumpy road...nay a collection of mud and rocks wrapping around a mountain, which occasionally lead us to the side of the cliff because a rock slide had just occurred and the pile of rocks ahead was insurmountable. Also there were plenty of other piles of rocks from the day before´s strike, wherein villagers had blocked roads (thus moving the trip back a day because all roads out of Cusco were blocked...oh Peru). We road for about 4 hours on our crappy bikes--mine with only one semi-functioning set of brakes (the front brakes). By the time we reached our destination I was soaking, caked in mud--including my contact lenses, and shaken up more than a pisco sour (ah ha. ha.). We stayed in a hospedaje that night, which thank god, had a shower (albeit freezing).
Day 2 and 3: Trekking through the highland jungle that surrounds Machu Picchu. Beautiful. The last few hours to Aguas Calientes (the city closes to the MP) was all on railroad tracks, which I enjoyed. As we approached we could see MP from below. During these two days I became the most mosquito bitten I have ever been in my entire life...in fact in 5 minutes, I probably recieved more bites than in my entire Amazon adventures (the scars of which were almost healed!) These little blood suckers are experts too. They go straight for the veins, and I am not kidding, I have bruises from them sucking so hard and breaking all the little blood vessels in my legs. I have to say though that I am grateful for my two other treks up north that totally kicked my butt, because I was basically running through my trek. Everyone else was whining as I rejoiced in the luxury of having real (well..Peru real) beds and occasional showers, and was actually kind of annoyed with the hourly breaks.
Day 4: Machu Picchu and hike to Huayna Picchu. I really don´t know what to say about them other than, duh they were incredible...
Then we soaked our tired bones in the thermal springs at Aguas Calientes. Then a train and a bus ride back to Cusco.

In my two days since being back I have had a massage, taken a yoga class, and decided I really need another couple months here...... !!!

So much love. Missing you all,
Rachel

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Te amo y caminos faciles.

Tu papa

Unknown said...

You can stay if you want to Rachel. I know this is a chance of a lifetime, but I will be disappointed if you don't make it home for the wedding. Give us some notice when you decide. We love you...MOM

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachel,

It has been a pleasure following you on your adventures. Do whatever it is that makes your soul sing. Stay safe and happy, and know we miss you.

Love,
Nancy

Unknown said...

Rachel,
Jane called and wants us to come for Thanksgiving. What should I tell her?

Mom

Kara said...

Explore! Adventure!
stay safe, as always, but do what brings you joy.

-Kara

Cam5484 said...

i think you rock and am so proud of your amazing adventures! i was just looking into some tefl courses offered in cusco and other glorious places in south america that i might try out. so perhaps a junta en sudamerica pasara! disfruta en tus ultimos dias alla!