Saturday, October 4, 2008

local

Just an update on my location...I took a 23 hour bus ride from Chachapoyas to Lima on Sunday night. The highlight of my one day there was a salsa aerobics class and doing some laundry. Then on Tuesday night I took a 10 hour bus ride to Ayacucho. I hung out for a couple days with my friend Oscar. The town is beautiful and peaceful, with 30+ Baroque and colonial churches and Wari ruins from the years 400-1000AD. Yesterday morning I took another 23 hour bus ride to Cusco...the hardest segment by far of my travel thus far--talk about dirty and bumpy and standing for several hours because there weren't enough seats...
But here I am, fatigued but happy in Cusco. I'm staying in a great backpackers hostel, and after a few hours rest, I'm ready to get out and see this city that I have heard so much raving about! Soon to come, Machu Picchu!
R

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach,

Wow - sounds like you've had some seriously brutal travel days. Makes my 9 hours total travel time with flight delays and mechanical failures today seem like pretty much nothing.

Hey, I was trying to look at the little map of Peru on your blog home page, and it appears that you're adding red arrows showing where you've actually been. Problem is, the picture is super small so i can't actually read it, and when i blow it up the resolution's not good enough so it's blurry. Any way to enlarge your image?

Love you madly and hope you are having a fabulous time! Hopefully you've been to Machu Pichu by the time you even read this! :-)

-Krissy

Rachel said...

I hope i fixed it a bit...
I don't know that you can zoom in, but if you google map it, I've been to Lima, Iquitos, Trujillo, Huanchaco, Cajamarca, Chachapoyas, Leymebamba, Ayacucho, and Cusco, and I'm going to Puno and Arequipa, and maybe Pisco/Paracas Penninsula...
R