Wednesday, February 9, 2011

in Haiti

Just a quick note to say that Justin and I have made it safe and sound to Jacmel, Haiti. It is about as dirty and chaotic as I thought it would be, but the clinic is pretty great. Of course there is a lot of need and lack (to say the least), so all I'm going to say right now is that if you'd like to donate to a very worthy cause, pretty please donate to Mother Health International. They are trying to make rent for March, and the Haitian staff midwives are having their salaries delayed so they can stay on the land. I'm not sure how we're going to get supplies that we need here either, since there is no way to mail things and there are no more volunteers expected.....so if anyone wants to makes a trip to Haiti and bring supplies, let me know! :)

I'm overwhelmed with stories in the first 2 days of being here, so I'll have to wait on it for now, but I'll report that I washed a bunch of clothes today by hand by dipping buckets into a sistern. The sun is super hot and they dry pretty fast, assuming it doesn't down pour..... Also I learned how to use a fetoscope and caught my first Haitian baby last night, a little boy. Yay! And as a surprise bonus, I had the best hot chocolate I've ever had yesterday.... more later, xoxoo

No comments: