Friday, February 25, 2011

Happy birthday to me!

If you'd like to treat me to something for my birthday, please consider making a donation of whatever size to Mother Health International (the clinic where I'm volunteering). We've got rent made for March, but are still trying to pull together money to pay the staff (translators, cleaners, etc) for the month. For my birthday tonight, we are heading to Jacmel's one and only Mexican/Italian/Pizzeria! I cannot wait to see what even means! haha.

The other day I had an amazing day at the beach with Melinda (Canadian midwife) and Ninotte (Haitian administrator/midwife apprentice). The water is so warm and soft and clear. You can walk out a long ways and there aren't waves to knock you down, so you can just float. Mmmmm. We did some acrobatic playing around in the sand and met a group of Haitians in their 20s and sang songs with them. Later that night however, I got really sick--fever, chills, terrible headache, sore throat, and all over achiness. It lasted throughout the next day and I thought I might have malaria or something...thankfully I only had to spend one agonizing day in bed and another much-less agonizing day out of bed. It's hard to pin-point what exactly made me sick--the rats/mice that frequent our kitchen? The water? The intense sun? The mosquitoes? Emotional strain? Vo-dou??? It's certainly not out of the question here. One of the employees at the clinic recently had to be let go, and people had the genuine fear that she would ask a vodou priest to curse the clinic or certain people here.

Another source of bad juju could be Justin (kidding...maybe), who went back to the states on the 23rd. We had some issues that needed to be worked out independently, and so are parting ways for 3 months. He's going to focus on family time and meditation and I'm going to focus on midwifery, and we'll meet up in Guatemala in May.

In other news, I'm going insane with the neighbors, who not only continuously blast music, but repeat the same songs over and over again. Sometimes I'll naturally assume that I've been listening to the same song, until I realize that 20 minutes or more have passed, and they simply have the song on repeat. I don't think I can bare any more Sean Paul...please!

Me feeling proud of all the laundry washed by hand.

Visiting the amazing fresh water pools outside Jacmel.

No comments: