Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oakland continued

If you know me well, you know that I am not the most decisive person...I tend to be a little unfocused at times, but since I'm always thinking, I get stuff done...it might just take an immusurable number of cartwheels, detours, and mind-trips along the way, which inevitably leads me to the edge of my sanity on a regular basis. Simply deciding on a meal at a restaurant can prove to be a daunting task...with all the options and things to consider: the different health properties of the foods--consulting chinese medicine, naturopahy, and nutrition; the taste; what drink would pair well with the food; my fancy at the time of devourment; and then there's the conversation that distracts me and the restaurant decor; the layout and art of the menu; and on and on and on... And so, here in San Francisco, I have found myself completely and totally overwhelmed with options. So many good friends here, so much to do, so many modes of transportation and different routes--what's the best one? (the answer to this, and always, is THERE ISN'T ONE, just choose something!). Additionally what kind of job do I want to have, and do I want it to be in the bay area, or Porland, or Iowa City, or New Mexico? How am I going to get to the next place I am going--craigslist rideshare? train? bus? plane? Who will I stay with?
And so, with my simple list of Bay Area tasks: to see some friends and my brother, look for a job, and go salsa dancing & attend a yoga class, I have at least accomplished the first...and many other unexpected things. Yesterday I walked around Berkeley and saw some local art and listened to some street drumming. The other night I accidentally went "clubbing..." I've watched a lot of movies with Ted. And Today I am seeing Milk at The Castro. Then maybe spending another night at my friend (who I met in Hong Kong)'s co-op house near Golden Gate Park...or taking the BART back to Oakland to stay at my brother's house. Tomorrow I have an interview with UCSF for their simulated patient program, to act for medical students' exams.
On Thursday, I am taking a train to Sacramento, then picking up a ride to Taos, NM, which I've heard is incredible--beautiful nature and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, lovely peaceful people, a great midwifery community, etc.
Then, I am flying from Albuquerque to Kansas City on Xmas eve to celebrate the holidays with my dad's side of the family...then back to Des Moines for my cousin's wedding...then to Iowa city for a couple days...then Chicago for New Years!

I hope all is well and warm wherever you are!
Lots of love, Rachel

PS I highly highly recommend the movie War, Inc.
And I finally saw Into the Wild, which I had been cautiously avoiding, worried that it would make me want to go into the wild...It did, but worry not, I think the most drastic thing I would do would be to work on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico...which is still a possibility. The movie was great though.

No comments: