Monday, December 22, 2008

New Mexico

I've got about 5 min to write this. We've snuck into town--a 45min drive from Eric's delightfully middle of nowhere cabin, where no cell phone reception dare reach. So I am at the Las Vegas, New Mexico public library now, a lovely little building which used to be an observatory.
It took two full days to get here: A train at 7:30am from Oakland to Sacramento, then I rode down to the border of Arizona/California with a sweet guy named Wil, who was coming from Northern California to Taos, NM. We spent the night in a Best Western with his two friends we met along the way to caravan with. The caravan was an excellent idea, since we were both driving incredibly beaten up cars...he told me later that he had second guessed putting up the rideshare listing on craigslist, unsure if he wanted to chance breaking down with a random person...right, thanks for telling me now!
Us in his '94 pathfinder and them (Dan and Nick) in their ~'89 Volvo, we creeped along forlorn highways at 40-65mph, depending on the wind and hills. Day two was from Needles, middle of nowhere, to Santa Fe, NM, where Eric and Gabe picked me up.
We've spent the last few days in Eric's lovely, but freezing cabin. There is no heat, only a wood stove, and the temp hoovers around 45 when you're lucky. We cook lavish feasts however, which warm the soul, and drink plenty of coffee and whisky.
I let them chop the wood and break up the ice for the horses while I do the dishes...
Ooops, looks like that's all the time I've got.
Tomorrow, it's a car ride, then train ride, then plane to Kansas City.
Here I come family! :)
Merry Christmas ya'll! Love, Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i knew old Pathfee would make it, i just thought it would be attached to a tow truck. i had train money for us, however

wil