Tuesday, May 24, 2011

quick update

I can´t stand sitting in an internet cafe getting bitten by mosquitoes while my Quetzales tick away, so this will be a brief update :)

Justin and I spent a couple nice days in Xela as well as hiked up the the highest point in Central America: Tajumulco Volcano, from which we could see Mexico. It was a 2 day journey that involved several buses and a couple days of hiking and a cold night in a tent. Not too treacherous considering it´s height though and super beautiful!

Now we´re in a village on Lake Atitlan. Today we came by micro bus and then chicken bus (named as such because it is not unusual to have any assortment of live animals along for the ride in the painted retired school bus)...the first one of which dropped my suitcase on the side of the road going around a corner and we had to stop to get it.

We´ve eaten a lot of delicious tamales, tortillas, and tostadas on the street, which has got to be my favorite hobby.

Also, I was amazed and very excited to see Justin´s new moves that he picked up from 2 weeks of private salsa lessons while here by himself. I can´t wait to get him on the dance floor in Antigua where I hope to meet up with an old salsa dancing pal from Iowa City (or rather from here but we know each other from IC).

No comments: