Monday, May 30, 2011

Mexicomo?

I have somehow landed myself already in Mexico. We intended to spend a lot more time traveling around Guatemala, but neither of us could help it when we heard that we could jump on an 11 hr bus from Antigua to San Cristobal, Chiapas, Mexico. It was a long day, but here we are! We are both so excited. Ahhh I loved Guatemala, but I am exuding with love and joy for Mexico. We hardly slept the night before and had to board the bus at 5am, so we were like zombies all day in the bus. When we arrived, we immediately dropped our stuff at a hostel and went out to score some street food.... fruit and cucumber smothered in lime, salt, and chile, fried potatoes with hot sauce, corn on the cob, etc! Mind you, we also had some excellent street food in Guate: tostadas with beets, guacamole, onions, and fresh parsley; tamales; pupusas; chuchitos (which seemed to be like fried tamales); and mountains of tiny round thick tortillas.

We loved walking around the beautiful colonial streets of Antigua and drank a lot of amazing hot chocolate (thank you Maya!) and even ate some nice Thai food. Before that at Lake Atitlan we enjoyed kayaking, and we visited a friend in the Peace Corps in Patzun, a smallish town with literally zero tourists, which was a nice change.

May I say that if I never ride another chicken bus it will be a-ok with me! The last one I road, I swore we were going to fly off a mountain. The driver sped around blind turns putting his entire body into turning the wheel. Later I will upload a picture of the audante--the guy who collects money from the passengers--crawling atop the seats of the completely packed retired US bus (I swear there were close to 100 people in it).

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Rachel,

Finally got around to checking up on your blog and am so glad to hear your summer adventure is off to a good start! Love from us to both you and Justin!

Kristen