Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day...I couldn't feel farther from it here

Funny T-shirts I’ve seen or Reasons to smile in Haiti:

“Kiss me I’m Irish” on a huge Dominican man...this was actually a month ago, before St Patrick's

A tight white muscle tank with silver writing saying “bootyliscious” on a big bellied Haitian dude

“Too much rock for one hand” depicting the devil horns hand, worn by one of the clinic workers

My personal favorite: “Glam. Titty and Hip”

“Not mom, I’m busy.” On a skinny Haitian dude

Other things that I find slightly absurd and amusing: The amazing prevalence (and acceptance or glorification in regards to some) of:
  • nipples being seen through shirts (no bra, thin material)
  • clearly visible underwear through a nice dress/skirt (like they dress up to look nice and then specifically wear over the top colors or lumpy undies)
  • long LONG toenails (possibly fake, because they seem impossibly long)
  • muffin tops
  • visibly unfitting bras--you can see the woman's breast below, to the sides, and coming out of her bra, and other examples of way way too tight-fitting clothes
  • and my personal favorite: nipples/breasts popping out of shirts, and I'm not talking about breastfeeding women, whom I completely support in whipping them out. It is a fact that because of ill-fitting clothing or interesting choices in attire, women's boobs are fairly often popping out of their clothes here: a common occurrance in our midwifery apprenticeship class, sometimes for the aforementioned reasons or sometimes just because the girl thinks it's funny (which of course, it is...).

No comments: