Sunday, August 24, 2008

Trujillo

I am in Trujillo now, which is a 9 hour bus ride north from Lima, which I hopped aboard at 11:30 last night after partaking in some couch surfing festivities. If you didn´t know, I´m having the fabulous experience of couch surfing here in Peru, which has involved staying with some great hosts and meeting some really fabulous people (not to mention the amazing parties!) Today I went to Chan Chan, which is Peru´s largest pre-Incan empire (The Chimús)´s capital, and was built somewhere around the year 1000. It´s a giant adobe city that is estimated to have housed 30,000-60,000 people. It is UNESCO World Heritage Site. And I am delighted to report that I got there by myself using my once-dreaded microbuses. I neglected to say earlier that one of the most intimidating parts is that someone hangs out of the bus door and yells at you and you have a second to decide if this is the right bus or not, and jump on as they yell or grunt ¨subri subri,¨ to get you to quickly accend the stairs and mash yourself uncomfortably into your many neighbors on the crowded bus. Then when you want to get off, you have to push your way to the front and say baja! But, now that I´ve done it a few times, I feel much more comfortable...and as for the pay rate, I just hand them a sol and hope it´s sufficient.

and here is a link about the clowning trip:
http://www.patchadams.org/campaign/clown_trips/peru_aug_2008

No comments: