Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another town, another Peruvian boyfriend

It´s a blessing and a bother that wherever I go, I attract people. It´s part the friendly nature of the culture, and part the novelty of a light-skined, light-haired, green-eyed Americana. It´s hard to imagine people in the US flocking to foreigners who can barely put together a sentence—in fact, we tend to steer clear of anyone who may invoke an awkward situation or delay us in anyway in our day. But here, it`s quite the opposite. And I am grateful for that, because I always have someone to talk to and practice my Español with, but with my adventure to Huanchaco, I have to say I almost lost it... I have been incredibly understanding of cultural differences in how people act toward each other (specifically between men and women)...maybe I`ve even given a little too much slack to some certain inappropriate men (like when they want to go somewhere and then oops no $, so I have to pay for taxi or entrance, or I let slide when they call me their princess and drape their arm around me continually). But when the person is genuinely friendly or approaches me out of curiosity, of course, I never mind, but when it feels like I am being taken advantage of, it`s very hard for me to maintain the love and respect I try to hold for all persons.... I should start out by saying that I left Trujillo to go north to a little beach town, called Huanchaco, both to have a little alone time before I leapt into my home stay, and also with the hope of finding a clean bed and maybe a hot shower. After waking up itchy and discovering ants in my bed (I wasn`t surprised after having to basically sweep my bed before getting into it), I decided it may be worth the $10 to spring for a hostel.


So, along the way to Huanchaco, I met a nice, businessy looking guy named Manuel. We decided to share a taxi since we were headed in the same direction. I intended only this, but then he insisted on helping with my luggage, and then going out to lunch so he could practice his English. Sure, fine. But then he wanted to walk around and show me the sights…holding hands and telling me how much he adores me and how it was fate that brought us together...and then he wanted to kiss me (sorry sir, you´re only about the 10th guy who has tried--this is not a unique little excursion--you are not my latin lover, this is not fate)…and after I very clearly and bluntly explained to him that I did not want that, and in fact that I found his behavior innapropriate--that this is not how men and women act in my culture, and that American girls are not like they are portrayed in the movies and on MTV, and furthermore that American girls do not want to be lavished with compliments and physical affection (this is another thing: Apparently Peruvian girls love to be told how beautiful they are constantly, and with a slew of cheesy phrases....I can´t tell you the number of ridiculous (to an American girl) things I´ve been told. My favourite being from song lyrics, like ¨Rachel, when a man loves a woman, can´t keep his mind of nothing else¨ (direct quote from un-named boy) and ¨Everything I do, Rachel, I do it for you,¨ thank you Bryan Adams...). Anyway, it`s uncomfortable for me having to be so stern with people—it`s simply not in my nature, but I end up having to be quite the bitch to get the point across that NO I don`t want to be your girlfriend, I don`t want to kiss you, and absolutely NOT you can NOT take a nap in my hotel!!! It`s crazy too, I feel like the bitchier and more physically unapplealing I am, the more attractive I am to these men. Today´s a clean day…I showered for the first time in 3 days, but as you can imagine, I spend a good amount of time being smelly, greasy, acne-ified, and generally unpleasant looking, especially when I don`t sleep well because my bed has bugs in it, and I am dehydrated because nobody freaking drinks water here (I am not exaggerating). Good lord.


I do want to make a special note though on how fabulous the food was at this particular lunch. I had a palta rellena, which consisted of one and half avocados (wait, wait, don´t count the fat grams yet), stuffed with mayonaisey seafood salad and topped with cream....mmmm. It went perfectly with my favourite juice: passion fruit.
I have to say though, that the unpleasantness of my encounter with Manuel (and I should note that I had three other male admirers in my 2 day stay in Trujillo/Huanchaco), was not overshadowed by the lovliness of waking up peacefully in a clean bed, taking a nice clean shower, and enjoying a cup of coffee sola. Also, there was a pet turtle at the hostel, and hammocks to lounge in.


More soon about my current location: Cajamarca!!

Love, love, love, Rachel

PS I would like thank American men for your subtlety when it comes to romance. As much as American women complain about American men not being attentive or romantic enough, and as much as I ablsolutely adore the warmness and open-ness of Latin culture, when it comes to romance, it´s quite frankly over the top for me (and I can be kind of mushy myself!)....Thank you my dear American boys for not saying ¨I love you¨ after knowing me for one day, for not constantly having your hand on the back of my neck or around my shoulder, and for not whining that I don´t really love you or that I won´t give you enough time....!!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

amen, sistahfriend!