Monday, July 20, 2009

The whacky wonderful world


I got a call from Presbyterian Hospital in Espanola, NM on Friday around 11am that they were interested in interviewing me. Now, with a non-refundable nor changable for <$250 plane ticket to Peru leaving Tuesday, it didn't leave much room to wiggle. To complicate matters I had promised my friend Alexis, who is getting married while I'm in Peru, that I'd come visit her before I left. So I booked a last minute flight leaving Sunday morning to Albuquerque with the necessary rental car to drive an hour and a half north to Espanola. Then I showered, jumped in the car, and headed to Minneapolis.

That night Alexis, her fiance Jordan, and I feasted on delicious Vietnamese food in Uptown. The next morning, she made her classic: scrambled eggs with cheese and chocolate chip pancakes (yum!) and then we met up with my friend Jessalyn for some farmers market fun. I got 10 minutes of Reiki at an Immigrant Rights fundraiser booth (best fundraising idea ever!). Then a quick run to the co-op, where I gave sick Mike a hug and helped him pick out some OJ :) Then back to Des Moines to pack and leave in the morning.

I arrived into Albuquerque around 2, drove to Santa Fe, walked around, then passed out. Man I love having a whole hotel room all to myself. Monday morning I checked out, drove up to Espanola, interviewed, got the job on a sweet labor and delivery unit: low c-section and epidural rates, super small hospital with opportunity to do lots of things include float to other units, interesting and diverse population (eg lots of Native Americans), ETC. Victory dance in the parking lot (see pic above). With a little extra time to spare, I happened on a West African dance class in Santa Fe (I couldn't make this stuff up). I danced my heart out and released a lot of tension from driving-flying-driving-driving-interviewing-driving, then drove some more: back to the airport, flew to Denver, flew to Des Moines, got in at 10pm, and here I am , rushing to pack for Peru, while indulging at looking at apts around Santa Fe.... They're holding the job for me until I get back, so basically, if I can hold on long enough for the ride, I'm set!

So here I go again (deep breath.) A little more prepared this time with some Spanish skillz, Peruvian friends, a clue of what I'm getting myself into (though come on, it's South America, who knows?)... Oh yes, and with only a 45 min layover in Atlanta, I'm carrying everything on.
First stop: Pucallpa, a town east of Lima in the jungle. I probably won't post until I get back to the capital city in a week or so.

Mmmm, lots of love and good vibrations :)
Rachel

No comments: