Monday, June 29, 2009

7 days

My weeks seem to be overwhelmed with an abundance of strange and wonderful things. Please forgive my recent habit of writing lists for updates instead of prose.

Tuesday:

  • I convince myself that I have an infection and need antibiotics since I'll shortly be boarding a plane to a land of no healthcare access (which to an uninsured individual means no access to Mexico..).

  • I make a trip just across the border to buy some Cipro (an anti-biotic which kills stomach bugs (picked up by say, drinking the water in Monterrey...), urinary tract organisms, as well as anthrax should one happen to have that too). The pharmacist tells me that it is illegal to bring this specific medication over the border, before offering me a bottle of Toradol to put it in. Thank you shady border pharmacist.

  • Giddy with my purchase of Mexican pharmaceuticals at an outrageously low cost (along with my friend who bought a years worth of Yasmin), we skip back across the border and head back to the clinic.

  • We receive a call along the way to inform us that our "clinic coup" has happened earlier than expected. I'd love to elaborate on the topic, since my giddiness at that point was uncontainable, but I will err on the side of being "professional." Basically there was a lot of bad stuff going on in the clinic, and when I came here, I realized that perhaps my reason for being here beyond patient care was to help in the revolution and rebuilding of wonderful Holy Family. I am happy that I will be able to leave knowing that the clinic is returning to the wonderful work and care it was built on 25 years ago.

  • We went out for margaritas to celebrate. Where? Weslaco residents' favorite "bar:" Chili's. Haha, I will never get over this being one of the "local hot spots."


  • I go to McAllen, where I've been house-sitting, to pack up my things. Shortly after arriving I begin feeling itchy/burny/tingly: at first in my hands and feet, and then all over. Not wanting to have an anaphylactic reaction alone, I finish up and quickly head for the clinic. Mid-drive, I start blacking out, and pull over to hang my head between my knees. I call the midwife/family nurse practitioner, who reassures me I won't die and that "anaphylactic-like" symptoms can be a side-effect of Cipro. Great. I pull myself together, drive home, and induce a Benadryl-coma.

Wednesday:

  • Wake up 6 hours later for the staff meeting which has been moved to IHOP, as the clinic is under siege.

  • Hop on the plane to Denver for a "business trip," miss the connection in Dallas due to weather, and finally arrive around 11pm.
In flight entertainment

Thursday:
  • Hang out with my family who "just happened" to be in Colorado visiting my sister.

  • Cards were played. Food was eaten. Sleep was had. In that order of importance.
Friday:
  • Business day: I spend the afternoon/evening writing health education modules for my sister's actuarial consulting company.

  • All work and no play makes Rachel and Kristen dull sisters: we indulge in some mountain biking and Estes Park's own locally roasted coffee at Kind Coffee shop.
Saturday:
  • More work for Kristen. Back on the plane to Texas. Plane majorly delayed due to pressurization issues.

  • I have the pleasure of staying at a crappy motel in Dallas' airport-land. I love having a motel room all to myself, especially when paid for by American Airlines. Where do they get the decor for these rooms? is what I want to know though.
Sunday:
  • After 6 hours of sleep, I hustle myself out of bed and back to the airport.

  • There's a laboring patient when I arrive in McAllen, so the midwives can't pick me up.

  • I finagle a borrowed car and make it back just in time for the birth. Beautiful.

  • My co-workers attend a Christian rock concert. I opt not to.

  • I spend the evening wanting to go to bed, but feeling guilty because there's too much to catch up on, and thus crack myself out on chocolate and home-made tortilla chips and achieve marginal productivity until 1am

Monday:

  • Exhausted and hungover from junk-food and insufficient sleep, it's back to work. The office is peaceful and happy under our new democratic rule.

  • I am pleased but in denial about starting my last week of work at Holy Family

Playing 6-handed Pitch

No comments: