Monday, April 27, 2009

Writing: My Anti-Swine Flu

I feel the need to exemplify a little further how far removed I am from my idea of America here in the Rio Grande Valley. I keep reminding myself that I am in America (because seriously it's basically another world down here), and what I am experiencing is in fact very American. Afterall, our country was cultivated by immigrants. The funny thing here though is that many people are not immigrants: they have lived here for generations (back when Texas was Mexico!). However, many people still speak only Spanish or maybe Tex-Mex (a wonderful sort of Spanglish), and they maintain Mexican traditions of family and religion. For example, many women after giving birth wear cotton balls in their ears and stay at home for 40 days.

Other observations of "The Valley"
Lizards and big bugs everywhere! And babies and small dogs as accessories.

The tap water is terrible--I assume the cause being that it's a big agricultural valley and also down-stream from a thousand miles of farm land. Because of this, every few blocks there are water stations where you can buy good water for 25cents a jug. Water Privatization is here folks!

I'm basically sweating from the time I wake up until I fall asleep.

You may have to pull out your Spanish at the restaurant or gas station, or driving down the street, as most signs are in Spanish and many people do not speak English. Though Ojo! (look out): A lot of people look like they speak Spanish, but they don't!

Breakfast tacos are the best. Before 11am or so you can get yummy warm tortillas filled with eggs or beans or something else bettered by the fact that it's wrapped in a home-made tortilla! Ojo: it's either made with trans-fat or lard. Pick your evils (Lard for me!)

Colonias: basically little slums where people were mislead by developers to believe if they bought homes or land to build on, they would receive water and services like electricity and sewage, but more often than not, never did. (illegal!) Families of 8 or more are often living in 3 room homes (*I did not say bedrooms)

On the weekends places sell barbacoa, which is slow-roasted (either underground or over a fire) pig, cow, or sheep. Menudo is also popular, which is a dish made with cow stomach/intestines, and is apparently a good hangover cure (I'll chance the hangover, thanks).

The RGV (Rio Grande Valley) is set up along "the express way," so you find yourself driving down the same fast food and Walmart lined road all the time. Whataburger, Sonic, and McDonalds are HUGE here.

People appear to have no regard for environmental conservation and they're not very good at picking up after themselves. Public bathrooms are often a disaster. And everyone is always eating out of styrofoam with plastic utensils. I've yet to see a recycling bin, and when I bring my own bag to grocery shop, people are like, "Why??".

Palm trees and tropical flowers

Texas is the worst state ever and there are no sidewalks to ride my bike on, which is sad. Because there's no way I'm riding in the streets when the drivers are so dumb that they need shoulders the size of standard lanes. Oh yes, and everyone drives pickups.

I'm pretty sure there are no laws here.

1 comment:

Joe said...

LOL, this sounds pretty amazing! I LOVE LARD, TOO!