Wednesday, September 7, 2011

#$%$%&*(@$

I was just about to write an entry about how having a tonsillectomy and breaking up with your loved one a day apart is not as good of an idea as it may seem (or was I just being optimistic)... sure you can validate try to put to sleep your shitty feelings with narcotics and eat all the coconut milk ice cream you want, but in the end I hypothesize you end up feeling more depressed.... last night (or was it the night before technically? since I'm writing at 3am) I took my last liquid vicodin, saying no no no more after this. It's making me too sad. Then today I went to the acupuncturist for pain relief (amazing) and started sobbing. He said that eating too much sugar (endless popsicles and ice cream) was making me hyper-emotional. Of course! I should have thought of that myself... no wonder I'm crying at every silly emotional thing that happens in the endless string of movies I'm watching. What a mess I am. He was very encouraging about it only being temporary though. Also I have been going crazy at my parents' house and planned to go to Iowa City tomorrow (today)...

OH WAIT, that was the entry I was thinking about writing earlier...and then I went to sleep and hemorrhaged! (the queasy-inclined need not read further... nor those offended by profanity)

Or as I said to my cousin Ike, I god damn mother f'n hemorrhaged from my tonsillectomy site. It was utterly horrifying and really really scary. I woke up around midnight. I'd been dreaming that I was drowning and I was swallowing really quickly. I remembered, possibly still in my dream, way back from my NCLEX nursing exam that THIS IS A SIGN OF HEMORRHAGE POST-TONSILLECTOMY!! I jumped out of bed and was a little unsure of what to do for a second and just kept swallowing, really quickly as the blood continued to pour into my throat. Then I spit into my hand and saw it was indeed blood, lots. Up until then, I was also optimistic that it was possible I had suddenly started producing A LOT of saliva.

I opened my mom's door to her room and said in a moderately panicked voice: "Mom, I'm hemorrhaging." She screamed for my dad who was still downstairs working on the computer. He ran upstairs and they started to debate about what they should do, as I stood over the sink and let blood pour out of my mouth. It was like The Exorcist. (Did that happen in the Exorcist? either way it was such an outrageous position to be in). They stood and discussed what they should do as I kept repeating "I have to go to the hospital." My dad ran downstairs and brought me a cup of ice. Not a bad thought, but I was pretty sure we needed to get to the hospital ASAP as I looked in my throat and could very literally see the blood spurting like a tiny hose from a vessel around where my right tonsil used to be. I could actually see it come in little waterfalls (stop, go, stop, go) like I'd always imagined a cut blood vessel appear. My parents continued to talk and I basically said: "ok, we're going to the hospital NOW!" I ran down the stairs and got into the car. My mom had to take a moment to sit down and breathe understandably, and consequently got left behind as I told my dad to leave her, go!

He sped down residential streets going 60 as I held a kitchen glass in front of my face to spit blood into, with my head between my knees. I thought I was going to die. I was blacking out in addition to cold and loosing sensation in my extremities. Before I could black out completely, I told my dad I loved him and I coached him to get to the ER and run in and say: "my daughter is outside in the car hemmorhaging and needs assistance now!" I just kept thinking as we drove across town that I was going to black out completely and I'd have to get intubated, get a blood transfusion, and get my surgical site re-cauterized....ahh!! And all at the dreaded county hospital!! Shit!

My dad did great and they directed him to drive in where the ambulances go. I was swarmed by nurses, and don't you know it: the bleeding stopped! It clotted! They helped me into a wheelchair and then a room, and got me into a gown. Just to prove I didn't make it up though, I had to start pooping like crazy from ingesting so much blood and going into a bit of shock. And in the end, it was pretty much fine! I couldn't believe it! I'm so grateful that in addition to all the ice cream, I made myself eat pureed spinach and broccoli, as well as take chlorella, and dal gonnit, that vitamin K from all the greens sure helped me clot my blood!

They basically just kept me for a couple hours to make sure the clot held up and bolused me (ie gave me IV fluids) since my blood pressure was in the 80s/40s. I thought for sure they'd take me to in re-cauterize the site, but the county hospital doesn't have an ENT on call so they said talk to my ENT later today and see what he thinks. Let me tell you: it's pretty gross to have a giant clot of blood just chillaxin' in the back of your throat, still touching enough tastebuds so that you're constantly tasting blood.

One may imagine that the reason I'm still awake is that I'm too scared to go to sleep, and they would be right! That, and I have to make frequent runs for the toilet. And anyway, I'm too pumped up with adrenaline after the terrifying experience. They said that this is exactly the time when people hemorrhage (around 8-9 days post-op) because the scab gets all crusty and hard like one on your knee would, and it gets pokey (to use a technical term) and can poke through a place and puncture a vessel. Pretty freaking crazy.

Well, I still need to clean the blood off the walls in the bathroom. I hope my parents' foreign exchange student hasn't seen it and is scared of what sort of people we may be, bwahaha. Classic.
May you all never experience blood shooting out of your own mouth or the mouth of a loved one :)
Good night/Good morning

3 comments:

Kara said...

Oh my GOODNESS, Rachel dear! I am so glad you survived this further ridiculous episode in your incredible life. I love you and will keep sending healing thoughts your way!

...hopefully they will be more effective from now on...

Karen O said...

Holy shit! I'm glad you're alright!! Right after I leave town too, sheesh! Your parents were right to get you a babysitter after all.. haha.

Feel better my love. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Rachel said...

oh my gosh Karen, I know! I thought my mom was being a little hyper-worrisome, but now I'm soooo glad it didn't happen the night you were here or worse: the night I was alone, since they didn't come home till Monday!

Thanks Kara and Karen for the positive healing thoughts and love!