Saturday, June 26, 2010

Last night I stood out in the pouring rain in my socks and ate a plum and looked up at the sky, and got completely soaked. Yum.

I just returned from a trip to Colorado with Justin, which involved a cold night of camping in Questa, a meet-the-extended-family occasion, which went very well, and a lot of great walks and talks in my sister's new neighborhood (which used to be mobster and moon-shine central during the prohibition era, along with being the Little Italy of Denver).

I've only worked 2 shifts thus far this week, but the round up of Espanola drama has included a heroin addicted baby born in the ambulance and then transported here, a major postpartum hemmorhage, 3 precipitous deliveries--one occurring into a woman's sweatpants on the stretcher (the best part being that she didn't make a peep and we only knew the baby had been born when we heard some muffled whimpers coming from her pants--talk about stoic!), I held a 14wk fetus in my hands while it was still attached by a tiny umbilical cord leading inside the mom, and I successfully put a catheter in a 300+ lb lady. Now if only telling of such excitement gave me the strength/will to get through the next 4 shifts.... I scheduled myself a little whackily so that I could have time to go to Colorado and to Kansa City for my friends wedding next weekend, which means not having to actually take time off from work, but having to work 75hrs in 6 days.
...So on that note, I have to go to bed now! I'm not honestly sure why I'm still awake!

much love, Rachel

No comments: